TORNADO OUTBREAK IN THE SOUTH
AccuWeather's team of world-renown meteorologists, whose forecasts are backed by Superior Accuracy™, helped businesses be better prepared and helped save lives by providing life-saving information earlier and more accurately than our competitors when a dangerous tornado outbreak tore through the south the last week of November 2022. AccuWeather meteorologists began highlighting the threat of severe weather in this area several days in advance.
ACCUWEATHER PROVIDES THE MOST ADVANCE NOTICE
An evaluation of the 24 tornadoes that touched down on November 29 and 30 found that, on average, AccuWeather gave five additional minutes of advanced notice over government tornado warnings and all other sources.
- As an immediate tornado risk developed in many communities, AccuWeather meteorologists issued several warnings that gave more significant advance notice than any other source for the quickly developing tornadoes, many of which occurred after dark.
- AccuWeather meteorologists issued a SkyGuard® Tornado Warning that provided 17 minutes of advance notice before a deadly EF2 tornado touched down in Montgomery, AL.
- AccuWeather was the only source to let businesses know that life-threatening flash flooding was also possible with this major storm. AccuWeather meteorologists issued an AccuWeather Alert™ for Flash Flood Threat several hours before our competitors.
- After an additional survey, two more tornadoes were identified, an EF1 and another EF2 in Mississippi. Both occurred in the overnight hours of November 30. AccuWeather was the only source to issue a tornado warning ahead of these tornadoes' touchdown, which likely saved lives because of the time they occurred.
- AccuWeather provided 39 minutes of advance notice before the EF2 tornado touched down and 23 minutes before the EF1 tornado occurred.
- In both cases, no other source issued a tornado warning before they touched down. Government sources only issued a warning after the tornadoes were on the ground.
AccuWeather’s services provided customers with additional time to be better prepared and seek safe shelter, which is crucial when every second counts and lives are on the line.
Be proactive with AccuWeather's SkyGuard® Warnings, which will deliver site-specific alerts and offer warnings well before severe weather hits, giving you much-needed time to be prepared. You won't find any other service like SkyGuard. The exclusive service has features that will help keep you safer. Our team of experts is available 24/7/365 to provide you with one-on-one consulting any time, day or night.
BENEFITS OF SKYGUARD® WARNINGS
- Proactive, site-specific alerts offer warnings well before severe weather impacts occur
- Alerts delivered in a format that aligns with your organizational emergency management plan
- All-clear notifications are sent when a threat is over, minimizing weather-related downtime
- All alerts are delivered via push notification from the SkyGuard mobile app, available on Android and iOS
Want to learn more about how we can help you? Demo SkyGuard® today and protect your business, employees, and assets.
Subscribe to our AccuWeather for Business Blog for the latest news and weather updates that will impact you and your business.
THE MOST TRUSTED AND RECOGNIZED NAME IN WEATHER
Serving more than half of Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally, AccuWeather is recognized as the most accurate source of weather forecasts, warnings, and data in the world.